Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The road up ahead...

Since Project#1 (that "one-time only" lark ten years ago that eventually grew into the Herscher Project), and in spite of a membership that waxes and wanes, I have been amazed at the enthusiasm, ingenuity, and creative drive of the group's members. I am fascinated by the quality and range of talent in tHP, and by the refreshing perspectives that our members have shown in their artistic and written works.

However, the questions, now, may be: "Where do we go from here?" or "Is it time for the group to evolve into something more?" or even "Is the Herscher Project an endangered species?"

I sometimes ponder these things, and I find myself wondering if the group, as it currently exists, is still catering to the needs of a younger, less-skilled demographic or if our members are clinging to tHP for the sake of nostalgia alone.

Should we expand our vision, or should we narrow our focus?

Do we need to pull together and commit to creating a marketable anthology, or do we splinter and go our separate ways with our writing and artwork?

Certainly, the talent exists to travel either of those roads... but it isn't only talent that will determine the destiny of the Herscher Project or its members. There exists within our group an intangible, yet easily discerned bond that has grown over these years, and I believe that essence will help guide us in the future. As always, I remain not as a leader, but as the one out in front being pushed in whatever directions that the Herscher Project members desire and demand -- and I'm enjoying the ride!

James K Bowers
Founder of the Herscher Project

4 comments:

  1. I for one would like to see us put that anthology together, and come up with some fresh ideas. It would be great if our 'public face' had some fresh, frequently updated content, too. I've taken way too much of a back seat on tHP and I apologize for that. I'll pitch in, with the things I'm especially good at: web development and editing. Let's make something happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on board with the anthology as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here on the anthology. I might be just the jumpstart the group needs to get back on track with writing and with membership.

    Honestly, I don't know what's best. I can't say much as I was lax for far too long and have only been a regular contributor over the last half year, but we really do need to hold the group accountable if we're going to flourish. I, for the life of me, have no clue how to do it though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of an anthology too. I voted :)

    I've been gone for ages, so this is probably a stupid question: what's the goal of tHP? What ties us together and makes others want to join us? I have my opinion, but I'm curious how other people view the group.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

tHP's Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors