Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Consulting the map and compass

Worthy of a little discussion!

In a very recent comment here, Angela pondered: "...what's the goal of tHP? What ties us together and makes others want to join us? I have my opinion, but I'm curious how other people view the group."

To answer briefly, tHP was created to support the idea that, first and foremost, creativity is (and should be) FUN. However, the mechanics of the "creative fun theory" is rather more complicated, and becomes increasingly more complex with the arrival and acceptance of each new member into tHP.

As it continues to evolve, the face of tHP becomes something just a little different from each of its previous countenances. Stripping away all the various costumes and masks, what I feel remains is the bare, innate need of its members to create...

As tHP's founder, I, too, am intensely curious about the views of others, so please do try to answer Angela's question. Knowing the needs and wants of tHP's members is 90% of sculpting tHP into an environment that reflects those needs and wants.

-- Jim

2 comments:

  1. In early 2004 Jim left a comment on my Elfwood page inviting me to join "the Project" which he was "resuscitating" after a 2-year lull. The current project at that time was #6, "Oz Never Gave Nothin' to the Tin Man" which had to do with artificial intelligence. I was up to the challenge of a short story ("The Memory Preservation Project", still up on my Elfwood shelf) and it was a lot of fun. That's why I joined. The reason I *stayed* and continue to participate has to do with the caliber of people tHP has been able to attract. Not only are they talented writers and artists but they are always willing to lend a hand to help someone else. I have never come across an internet group that felt so much like a bunch of friends. I have hosted a member at my home and would not hesitate to invite any other one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're quick Jim! You must have made this post right after I left my comment :)

    Like Steve, I think tHP is a great bunch of friends. It's rare to find so many talented people in one place on the Internet.

    And I think the caliber of writers and artists who are members of tHP is a great attractor (at least, it was for me). I knew most of you from Elfwood, and when Jim invited me to join, I was beyond flattered that I would be hanging out with the smart, cool people.

    That exclusivity, both of membership and caliber of members, is one thing I think could attract new members. One thing I wish we had is a more public face, but these blogs are a great start.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

tHP's Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors